Thursday, November 8, 2007

Of Suspensions and Disbeliefs

The strike has officially affected our company. I cannot go into extraordinary details about it, mostly because I'm not 100% sure of the details, but our development deal with a rather large distribution company of brothers (wink wink ) has suspended the aforementioned deal. We're not the only ones. Our wonderful CEO has been gracious enough to keep us all on financially until the holidays and after that it's up in the air. I'm honestly afraid to ask a lot of questions because I do not want to write myself out of the company, but it certainly is a weird feeling.

While Feature Film is doing fine (the scripts have already been written so there is plenty to go on) television is all ABOUT the writers. The future of TV is considered grim (by some). I personally have a "wait and see" attitude as to how this will affect television in the long run. Some think that the flux of reality shows will put the nail in the coffin while others suspect that the boom on the Internet will do it. I have no doubt that either will directly influence the outcome, especially since this whole strike is about the Internet.

So in a month or two I'll be out of work, unless the strike is resolved by then. I saw a news story about how the strike could last ten months, at the very most. That is quite a long time.

What will I do with the time? Honestly, I'll probably join the picket lines. January is a long ways away (although it seems to be rushing fast) and a lot could happen between now and then. It is an uncomfortable feeling, once again knowing that the gig will be up and my future uncertain. But Werner, the saint, will continue to pay until the new year. And I'll continue working for him.

No comments: