Friday, November 9, 2007

Of Killers and Fillers

I use AOL instant messanger a lot. On many (if not most) occasions, I use it in lieu of the phone. And because most of my conversations have occured online, I have realized what my two least favorite words are.

"Indeed" and "Yup."

Why do I hate them so? Because they are conversation killers. I would rather have the person type "I'm not really interested, but cool" or even just "cool." Fine, be disinterested that I, too, enjoyed the latest episode of "Pushing Daisies" or that I hate the amount of news that celebrities get but don't deserve. Or that I just congratluated you on finishing your film or some nonsense.

Indeed is funny (weird, not ha-ha) because not only do I get the feeling of disinterest, which is fine, but there's this smugness that comes with it as if to say "yes, I am already aware, MORTAL."

"Yup" is a similar creature, but I hate it for a seperate reason. "Yup" is like saying...well, let me give you a for instance.

One: How's it going?
Two: Fine
One: That's great! I'm glad your life is going so well.
Two: Yup.

And the conversation is done. I'm giving you a chance to brag, but since you'd rather just end it, "yup" is the weapon of choice. Listen, if you're going to end a conversation, I'd rather you just don't respond. Or sign off suddenly. Or even say "I can't talk right now" or "I don't really give two shits." Any of those would work!

Indeed.

1 comment:

miss alexander said...

fuck, you know "indeed" is my fav and i say it with full smugness every time.