Monday, November 5, 2007

Of Quips and Scripts

Months have passed and dust has been collected. But no more. With a deep breath I've decided to return to this blog and regularly update with my feelings on such things I have encountered. The truth of the matter is that I have been cheating on you, blogspot, with my high school blog. I am now over it and can now give you my full attention. I know I have to build back up our trust, but I know in time things will return to the way things were.

Or rather (since I only had one post) the way things should have been. My full attention is with you now and I promise I will not be persuaded otherwise. Let's get this show on the road.

In my absence from this dusty blog, I have gotten a job with Good Humor TV, Tom Werner's television company. Werner co-exec produced such television greats as "The Cosby Show," "Roseanne," "That 70's Show," "3rd Rock from the Sun" and "Grounded for Life." He also has a film company which produced "Let's Go to Prison" and "The Brother's Solomon." Suffice to say I am learning oh so very much about the television development world and I couldn't really ask for more.

Because of this, the writing has flowed like water. And by water, I mean water from a California river - it comes, thin and dirty, but arrives regardless. The spec of mystery (except to some) is nearly completion of a first draft and I am happy with the results. Writing for television feels like I have to relearn script writing - the concept of the three acts is tiresome for some reason. While the basics are the same (dialogue, action, etc) the format differs somewhat. At least, that's what Final Draft 7 leads me to believe. Figuring out where to break the act and to keep you reading is an interesting science and I haven't figured out the right chemistry to get it to work.

Last month I was paid to rewrite a science fiction script about the last man in the universe titled "Humanity's End." I did what I was paid to: the scripts vaguely resembled each other much to the chagrin of the man who wrote my checks. Alas, it was finished and I handed it off to him. It's been over a month now and I have yet to see what's happened to it. While I know that he will rewrite the script again (which is fine with me - it's his story) I am disappointed that he hasn't contacted me further to talk more about his thoughts about it. An email shall be sent!

commonname

No comments: