Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Of Heroes and Villains

I didn't get a chance to speak on my Heroes thoughts, so I figured now (with the downtime I have at work) would be as good a time as any. To say that this was a turning point in the season wouldn't really do it justice. For some reason I found myself in the minority of those who are actually enjoying this season of Heroes. I don't hate the twins, I don't hate West and Claire and I didn't mind Hiro hanging out in Feudal Japan for what seems like a lifetime. Everything came to a close and I have to give Kring props - the plot lines all intersected in a way that didn't bother me, nor in a way I saw coming.

The big reveal was that Adam, the villain we must all fear, is Kensai. This is huge. A villain so hell bent that he lived through thousands (plus?) of years just because of a lost love is so freaking fascinating that I cannot wait to see the season continue. And the fact that Maury (Parkman's "nightmare man" father) working for him just tops the cake. My lovely girlfriend called out that Hiro would become the Kensai he admires so, and she was right. But what I really dug about this realization was that he grew into it - Hiro proved himself. He didn't just take the position, he made choices and ended up becoming the great Kensai. Bob and the paintings piqued my interest as well, especially the stuff with Mohinder sealing his fate in killing Noah.

I enjoyed it and look forward to next week.

I finished the first draft of my spec, just in time for the Writer's Strike! It's funny, I read this infamous email going around by "The Shield" creator Shawn Ryan wrote as his own feelings on the strike, coming from a writer/producer/show runner point of view. Something that people seem to forgetting about this whole strike is that the writers WANT to work on these shows. They love them. It pains them to put the pencils down to simply ask what should have been given to them in the first place. Ryan goes on talking about how badly he wants to work on his shows and how much it hurts them to not look over the new footage or come up with a better line of dialogue. It's not easy to stop working on something you love so much and we should all realize that.

No comments: